Some components of your car have to be replaced periodically.
A car battery is no exception. Thus, you experience a dead battery sooner or later.
Many people do not realize the importance of their car’s battery.
It is one of the essential parts of the car. It is vital in starting the car, powering the car, and supplying power throughout the vehicle’s components.
If you are continuously dealing with symptoms that your battery will start to fail, don’t think twice and get it replaced.
There are many different brands and models available, and there are options for different car battery prices.
I researched different brands of car batteries on the market and selected the most popular car battery models for your car.
- Top 10 Car Battery Reviews
- 1.DieHard 38188 Group Advanced Gold AGM Battery GP 34R
- 2.Kinetik HC600 Black Lead_Acid_Battery
- 3.MAZDA Miata Battery Deka/East Penn 8AMU1R AGM
- 4.Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
- 5.Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- 6.Odyssey PC680 Battery
- 7.Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery
- 8.Optima Batteries 8022-091 75/25 RedTop Starting Battery
- 9.Odyssey PC545 Powersports Battery
- 10.Optima Batteries 8012-021 D34 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- Car Battery Buying Guide
- Car Battery Replacement – How to Replace
- Car Battery FAQs
Top 10 Car Battery Reviews
- 12-Volt, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 9.38 x 7.69 x 6.75-Inches Weight: 31.7 pounds, SAE Posts
- 12-Volt, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 5/16" x 6 13/16" x 7 5/8" tall, Weight: 33.1 pounds, Dual SAE & GM Posts
- 12-Volt, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 5/16" x 6 13/16" x 7 5/8" tall, Weight: 39.5 pounds, SAE Posts
- High density negative paste, improves performance and increases battery life
- Note: Refer a user manual before use
- Extended cold cranking amps delivery means more power for today's demanding electronics
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & GM Post
- Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 760
- Viper VP-600 12V 18Ah 600 Watt AGM Car Audio Battery. Pack of 2
Last update on 2021-06-13 at 12:57 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The DieHard 38188 Group Advanced Gold AGM Battery is great. And this fits like a glove. This battery is a direct shoo-in for the factory battery. The only thing you need is a 12-inch extension and a 10 mm socket, and you’re ready to go.
Strongly consider replacing your 12-volt battery with this item. It is designed to take more discharges than a regular battery.
It is the best car battery our picks, the battery arrived in record speed and was fairly easy to install. Required no adaptation and is operating perfectly in the cold winter.
If you have an amp over 400wats, I highly suggest a battery, the Kinetik HC600 – 600 Watt 12 Volt Power Cell Battery is more powerful than 100 1 farad caps! Extreme power in a small package. Mount near your amplifier for 800 amps of power reinforcement. Easily starts a V8 engine! Engineered for high-performance car audio systems, but graceful for normal driving conditions.
Kinetik HC Power Cells are the most powerful, reliable and compact car audio power cells on the market today. They are used by top competitors, along with car audio and video enthusiasts alike.
- Sealed Non-Spillable Design and can Mount In Any Position
- Ultra-Low ESR with More Plates For Stronger Energy Density
- Tightly Packed Cells for Higher Voltage Under Load
- Superior Heat & Vibration Resistance
The Kinetik HC600 12 Volt Power Cell Battery is a great battery for your stereo have it under car seat can be mounted anywhere and has more power than eight-farad cap great product .it works well I have this for my battery compositor, on a 1200 watt amp does the job and helps restore the power from my dimmed headlight I recommend this 12v battery.
What can I say, the Kinetik HC600 12 Volt Power Cell Battery is the best power cell on the market, I’ve had an optima battery before, this cell hands down packs more of a punch without breaking a sweat in comparison? If you want the best out of your car audio, do yourself a favor, get one of these, and a high output alternator, then you’ll be good to go.
The Mazda MIATA AGM Battery provides the most advanced power and value in the industry and increases power while improving driver and environmental safety. The Marathon AGM Battery was designed for more than performance; it was designed for the enthusiast. Molded top and side connection terminals provide versatility, increased strength, and durability.
This battery is slightly smaller than the Panasonic battery I got with the car. It’s about 1.5″ shorter in length but still fits in the battery tray in the trunk. It is also slightly shorter than the old one, but it has extended plastic ridges and a stand with a notch in the middle that allows the factory to hold down to be reused and hold it securely. It is also lighter than the Panasonic by a few pounds as well. If you’re looking for a non-spillable battery for your MX-5 that fits in the factory location, then this is it!
- 12 Volt 400 CCA Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery.
- Fits all Mazda Miatas from 1990 through 2005 with correct polarity and battery location in the trunk of the vehicle.
- Sealed, Maintenance-free battery.
- I have fully charged out of the box.
- Made in the USA.
This Battery is the proper AGM Mazda Miata Battery that Mazda chooses to install all 1990 to 2005 Miata’s. It is a very good battery for older collector grade Miata. The price is right, and the quality seems to be excellent. Fits right and maintenance-free. It has a sturdy case and exterior vents, as well. Made in the USA.
This is the correct AGM battery for Miatas. It came in good shape, and the fit was good. Most auto parts stores charge well over $130 for a replacement battery, so this is a great buy.it is one of the best batteries you can get for your Miata, perfect fit, cranks right out of the box, recommended on many of the car forums for Miata, I can see why. Great product, good price.
I opted for the Optima 8020-164 RedTop Group over the yellow top because yellow is ugly. To be 100% honest, I went with this battery over other batteries because it’s an f’ing battery, and they all have cold cranking amp ratings. To say that this one is miles better than any other battery is just fanboying at best.
Buy the red one for most situations. If you will be running a huge car audio system with the car off or if your alternator can not provide enough power for your system and you find that the battery is discharging while driving, then you need a yellow top battery. This almost only happens in competition vehicles and usually only with four or more 1000w plus amps.
Again the scenario is an aftermarket system that will be run with the car off or if you use a multimeter and find that while the car and system is running that your battery voltage is going down over time (stop the car and system every 15 minutes and test the battery) then you must use the yellow or blue batteries as they are designed to be used up (deep cycle). In contrast, the red has some deep cycle ability but is designed in most part to be a starting battery and always be completely charged up.
The Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery provides high performance and maintenance-free power. There’s a lower battery resistance in the SVR batteries, which results in quicker recharging times. They have a Deep Cycle design, which gives superior deep discharge rates.
The Optima Batteries 8020-164 are engineered to perform in demanding conditions. Another benefit of this car battery is the high amperage output. Advanced dry cell technology means no maintenance or corrosion. There are different sizes to choose from, so a good fit is ensured.
I had problems on extremely cool winter days starting my car. with THIS BATTERY EVEN ON THE COLDEST DAY OF THIS WINTER IT STARTED no problem, I will highly recommend this to others!
Summarily… I think this battery is a decent choice of high-end batteries. Is it the best? Only time will tell. Is it the worst? I don’t think so. I think the Optima battery line is a viable choice when you are in the market for a battery. I love Optima 8020-164-FFP RedTop Group! They are great batteries and great for racers. Super lightweight, and don’t care about vibration! Kinda expensive but worth it!
This battery is starting ability, high power, and very good for significant use by hot rods and off-roaders with its leak-proof.
- Most powerful five-second starting explosion
- Completely spillproof, mountable in virtually any position
- Faster recharging
- Optimal starting power
The unique layout that is SpiralCell provides a clean and powerful power source, ensuring the safety of you, your family, and the environment.
The higher reserve capability provides you a longer shelf-life to provide you with the power when you need it, where you want it.
Perfect for powering heavy electrical loads, including winches, audio systems, inverters, and other demanding vehicle accessories and electronics.
Lower internal resistance provides more efficient power output and faster recharges.
- Deep-cycle and cranking power
- Up to two times longer life
- More than 15 times the vibration resistance
- Completely spillproof, mountable in virtually any position
- Faster recharging
- Optimal starting power
- 300+ discharge/recharge cycles
This are the best batteries you can buy for your car. Much cheaper than buying it at the auto parts store, and it gets delivered to you.now you will have confidence in cranking the engine on those bitter winter mornings.
This battery will give you increased performance and reliability. All Optima batteries combine patented Spiral Cell Technology to deliver the best performance.
This battery is a great choice if you need the extra performance and deep cycling capability. Compare car batteries, and you’ll see the optima 8014-045 Yellow Top battery will meet all the demands of your car.
It comes with a solid building, constructed to take the continuous pounding sea or snow. This battery is the very best replacement for the OE battery, particularly for the high current loads that are starting.
- High integrity seal that is final
- Fully sealed – all gases recycled
- Self-regulating relief valve
- Many versions have tough containers that are flame retardant
- Strong internal cell connections prevent vibration damage
The Odyssey PC680 Battery designed and is made to military-level specs and has a life expectancy of 6-12 years kept accurately and if charged. They’re sealed maintenance-free batteries are spill-proof and perfect for mounting in difficult to get spots or upside down.
The Odyssey PC680-P Battery Excellent alternative to overpriced BMW batteries It with high cranking amps. Installed in my BMW K1200GT, replacing the OEM Gel-cell for significantly less money.
The battery is a little smaller, requiring a couple of shims to make sure it doesn’t move around or come loose. Otherwise, it is a perfect replacement battery for my bike. Also bought the SAE Terminals making for easier connections even though the battery came with the right angle terminals others complained about not getting with their battery.
- 170 CCA; Better warranty: Limited 2-year full replacement warranty, not pro rata; Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation
- Longer cycle life: 70 percentage longer cycle life compared to conventional deep cycle batteries, up to 400 cycles at 80 percentage depth of discharge- high stable voltage for longer periods
- Faster recharge: The highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery on the market, capable of 100 percentage recharge in 4 – 6 hours; Mounting flexibility: Non-spillable design
- Vibration resistance- Design protects against high impact shock and mechanical vibration; Extreme temperature tolerant
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
- “Item is Hazmat and non-returnable
I have used Odyssey PC680-P Batterys for years. They are as strong as a regular battery, yet much smaller and lighter. Most of the poor reviews here turn on the fact that terminals are extra – which I understand. You will not be disappointed with the actual battery. The battery comes with a full money back warranty for the first two years, which is unheard of. And they say I will last 10+ years if maintained on a battery tender. Awesome…
All in all, I am very happy with this battery and will see how it does in the long run, but from what others have said, most get great service from them.
Optima 34 RedTop was created to deliver high power cranking skills even in harsh weather conditions. This battery is perfect for heavy use by hot rods and off-roaders with its leak-proof, high power, and starting ability.
The exceptional SpiralCell layout gives a clean and powerful power source, ensuring the security of you, your family, and also the surroundings. The higher reserve capability provides you a longer shelf-life to give you the power when you need it, where you require it.
- Strongest five-second starting burst
- More than 15 times the oscillation resistance
- Fully spillproof, mountable in almost any position
- Faster recharging
- Best starting power
The RedTop 8002-002 is the best battery on the market, in my opinion. I have used these in my vehicles for many years, and they never have let me down. Should you enjoy the very best for your car or truck and also don’t mind spending a little more, you won’t be disappointed because they tend to survive longer than regular lead-acid batteries and they’ll save you money in the long run.
Optima 8002-002-FFP RedTop Group 34 Starting Battery is specially made to handle continued abuse. When you compare this battery, the delivery will be a higher level of power to the starter in the first 10 seconds of the vehicle starting the cycle.
This battery features patented Spiral Cell Technology that allows the lowest internal resistance of any other battery. The key to this particular Optima battery is the low internal resistance and the completely sealed case. Increased cycle life and fast recharge capability are also the reasons for rapid voltage recovery in short driving cycles.
For a longer-lasting battery, the Optima 8002-002-FFP RedTop Starting Battery is a good choice.
I found that Amazon has the best price, so don’t waste your time shopping around I researched for you.
I have had an optima Red-Top in my Prelude for about six years now, and it still runs strong (Worth it for just the winter starts alone), so I naturally went for the same battery this time. As far as the battery is concerned: Battery was charged enough from the factory to get the car started right out of the box, and Size and weight are very close to the OEM tC battery. It fit right in place with no mods.
- 12-Volt, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 5/16″ x 6 13/16″ x 7 5/8″ tall, Weight: 39.5 pounds, SAE Posts
- Reserve capacity of 90 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
If you have never purchased an optimum before, you will not be disappointed. It lasts longer than any other battery and can be drained to nothing, recharged, and works just fine. Mounted anywhere or any angle even upside-down. I have yet to see one die. The car dies first, or we have sold it before the battery is done.
Compared to the batteries I replace with these, I like that they are cleaner, free of liquids (use gel instead), have ZERO corrosion on the terminals, have a great warranty, and a much longer lifespan than conventional batteries. Unless they end up changing their design/manufacturing to cut costs or something similarly foolish, I will continue buying these for every car I ever own.
The battery went right in my Jeep with a simple socket wrench. My local recycling guide pointed to somewhere to take the old one. The extra starting power is great.
The Odyssey PC545 Powersports Battery is a different AGM battery that will get a very long service life IF you get an approved charger that charges and floats at different levels than all other batteries. These batteries give extreme cranking amp plus the ability to deep cycle, which few batteries can do.
My HD starts right up now since I have a high torque starter. Get the Battery Minder 12248 WITH the temp monitor for optimal charge and floating. I have used Odyssey Batteries before, and the longevity of these batteries are superior. Yes, they are expensive but worth every penny. This is the second Odyssey battery I have bought. I will continue to buy them as I need them.
- Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 150
- Better warranty: Limited 2-year full replacement warranty, not pro-rata
- Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation^Longer cycle life: 70 percentage longer cycle life compared to conventional deep cycle batteries, up to 400 cycles at 80 percentage depth of discharge- high stable voltage for longer periods of time^Faster recharge: The highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery on the market, capable of 100 percentage recharge in 4 – 6 hours
- Mounting flexibility: Non-spillable design^Vibration resistance- Design protects against high impact shock and mechanical vibration
There are not enough good things that I could say about this outstanding he Odyssey PC545 Powersports Battery. I trickle my cycle battery during the cold winter months in Wisconsin. However, the cheaper acid filled battery never made it through the winters even though they kept on a charge in a warm garage. Then come spring, and I’m dead on my wheels.
I bought this battery three years ago, it has consistently stayed strong through our cold winters and continues to serve my needs flawlessly. Yes, it now springs here in God’s country as our new riding season starts. Guess what, after many months of this battery sitting while on the trickle charge, my big cruiser of a motorcycle popped right off last week.
Further, I love the performance of this battery to such an extent that I’m considering buying another one and keep in storage. Why not, they are excellent batteries that Id say are second to none, so get another one on hand before the price rises too high. At any reasonable cost, this he Odyssey PC545 Powersports Battery is worth it.
I highly recommend this Optima Battery. It’s very well made and well worth the price, considering a conventional Lead/Acid Battery only lasts about three years.
I will recommend this Battery to anyone, lots of juice when you need it, compact size and sealed case mean it will fit just about anywhere.
- 12-Volt, 650 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 9 5/16″ x 6 13/16″ x 7 5/8″ tall
- Weight: 36.4 pounds, SAE Post
- 98 minutes of reserve capacity for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather; the positive or red terminal is located to the right
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
Thie Optima 8040-218-FFP YellowTop Group is packaged and shipped with extra protection to help protect your investment. Optima YellowTop batteries are made for the extremes.
Optima batteries with patented SPIRALCELL Technology deliver that performance. The deep cycle characteristic of this technology, coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration, provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.
If the vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, the Optima YellowTop batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.
It’s perfect for people who are serious about sound. Optima’s power is cleaner with a higher voltage output than conventional batteries. And they have a greater cycle life so they can be drained and recharged more often.
All in all, a good product and I’m happy with my purchase so far.
Car Battery Buying Guide
If you are trying to replace your battery, you first need to determine the price of your battery.
It will be more cost-effective to go for a well know car battery brand.
It will be more cost-effective in the long run to go with well-known car battery brands because you not only do you get a longer warranty, but you also get longer battery life.
Another factor that will affect the car battery is the cold cranking amps or CCA.
CCA is the measure of your car batteries’ ability to start under cold temperatures.
The CCA rating should meet or exceed your car’s OEM (original equipment manufacturer) cranking rate.
It is unnecessary to buy a battery that has a high CCA if you live in hot or mild climates.
Higher CCA is only necessary for people living in colder climates.
Car Battery Replacement – How to Replace
Changing a car battery is a basic knowledge everybody should familiarize themselves with.
Knowing how to change out a car battery can be very helpful in times of emergency, and can also be cheaper than taking it in for service at an auto shop.
Changing your car battery is a very simple procedure,
Some optional and necessary items for replacing your car’s battery:
- Replacement Battery Pack – Necessary
- Socket Sets (8mm to 13 mm sizes) – Necessary
- Or Adjustable Wrench – Necessary
- Safety Goggles – Optional
- Flat Blade Screwdriver – Optional
- PIN Memory Keeper – Optional
- Rubber Gloves – Optional
- Wire Brush – optional
If you want to carry out the car battery replacement on your own, you can be done safely by following these steps.
- With the engine off, pop the hood and locate the battery. First, loosen the nut with a combination wrench. A better tool would be battery pliers or a battery wrench.
- Twist and pull up on the end of the cable with your hand. You may want to purchase a battery terminal puller if it does not come off easily. This will help prevent damage to cables or your battery. It’s not recommended to use a screwdriver as a pry bar; this causes other damage or could break your battery terminal off.
- Detach the positive (red) battery cable from the battery using the same system.
- Using a combination wrench or a socket and ratchet, remove.
- Take the battery from the battery tray. Batteries are heavy, so grab from the underside using both hands. If the battery has a handle, use that instead.
- Use a battery cleaning solution or the baking soda and water mixture to completely clean any corrosion that will be left behind on your battery tray and hold down clamp from your old battery.
- To remove heavy corrosion from the connectors, use a battery-cleaning solution.
- Place the new battery in the battery, hold down the tray, and fasten the battery with the hold-down clamp.
- Spray both terminal ends with anti-corrosion solutions.
- Attach and tighten the positive battery cable (Red).
- Attach and tighten the negative battery cable (Black).
- Ensure that all cable connections/ hold downs are correctly tightened. Assess the security of your battery by trying to move it back and forth. Your car may not begin because of a weak electrical connection if you’re able to move the battery cable terminals in any way.
After your car battery replacement undertaking is done, you must ensure that your old car battery will be recycled.
You can bring it to the auto store where you bought the new battery or send it to certified recycling centers. Never throw an old battery in the trash.
Car Battery FAQs
What does CCA mean?
CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps.
This is a very important factor in your car battery’s ability to start during extreme temperatures and climates.
In other words, you want a battery with a higher CCA rating because the higher the number, the more energy your battery can output during cold days.
How can I test the car battery?
A very simple and easy way to check your car battery is to see if it is holding the proper charge.
You can test batteries using a multimeter or voltmeter. The car battery should be at around 13-14v while the car is running.
If the car is off, the multimeter or voltmeter should read around 12.6v more or less.
A battery that is not properly holding its charge will read around 10v.
This is a quick and simple way to test your car battery.
What is Reserve Capacity?
This number is a very important rating.
This number determines how many minutes your battery can pump out 25 amps at 80°F before it reaches under 10.5 volts.
In other words, the higher the % reserve capacity you have, the longer it can output a minimal power level required to run the car during a charging system failure.
How do I jump-start my car battery?
Jump-starting your car is a very simple procedure.
With both cars, off, attach the + cable to the dead batteries + terminal, then to the charger batteries + terminal.
Attach the – cable to the dead batteries – terminal, then to the grounded metal on the jumper car. Start the jumper car and wait a few minutes.
Try to start your car, if it doesn’t work, wait a few more minutes and try it again.
How can I increase my car batteries’ life?
You can increase the life of your battery by maintaining proper energy levels.
Make sure to keep it charged at no more than its maximum levels, overcharging tends to drain the life.
Using the right chargers can increase your batteries life.
What are the most common causes of a battery failure / a dead battery?
The most common causes of a dead battery are due to excessive charging, overheating of the battery, extreme temperatures, low water levels in the battery, time and age, and leaving on your headlights accidentally.
How to Maintain Your Car’s Battery
Most car batteries are advertised as maintenance-free, but they will still require routine check-ups. It will require constant care and maintenance to keep it functioning for a very long time.
Here are some important and helpful hints to help you maintain peak battery life.
Before doing anything to the battery, always make sure the cables are properly disconnected.
Doing so will greatly reduce the chances of electrical shock or injury.
1. Check the casing and cell cover.
Check the casing box and cover for any signs of moisture or pungent acidic smell. These are indicators that the battery may be leaking, and it should be repaired or replaced immediately.
Be careful when handling batteries that are leaking because the acid can be very dangerous.
2. Clean terminal clamps and cable.
Over time the terminal clamps of the battery and cables build up corrosion. These corrosions look like white powdery dust that builds upon the clamps. It almost looks like toothpaste. Clean the terminal clamps and cables with a copper wire brush.
3. Make sure everything is dry.
It is vital to make sure everything is dry at this point. You can take a dry cloth to dry everything up. It won’t end well if you reconnect the battery while it is wet. Electricity combined with water will lead to inevitable injuries.
4. Check the wiring and connection.
Make sure to check the wire and clamps for strips or signs of corrosion. This is different from the terminal clamps and cables. A stripped cable should be patched with electrical tape. The battery should then be secured in place. If it comes with a hold-down bar, it should be replaced.
5. Lubricate the terminals
Lubricate the terminals with petroleum jelly. This will make it easier to put the clamps back on. Besides, it will keep the cables clean and free of corrosion for a longer time.
6. Change your battery if it has been more then three years.
This step may not always be necessary. Of course, it depends on the brand and manufacture。